Thursday, September 20, 2012

Understand Calculus

Author:          P. Abbott & Hugh Neill
Published    1992 
Publisher:     Hodder Education
Paperback:  400 pages
Over the last decade and a half I have not got enough opportunities to exercise my grey cells that are responsible for solving mathematical problems. I was concerned that I may eventually loose the skill which I had painstakingly acquired through almost  20 years of maths education. Hence I picked up this book on introductory calculus when I saw it in a library and read through it like a novel. Well that's not exactly how you go through a mathematics book . You need to actually do the exercises given in the book. But then the purpose was served. I was able to refresh many differentiation and integration concepts and techniques which I had struggled with during my college days.
Though I felt the treatment of integral calculus could have been better, I would recommend this book to anyone interested in learning or brushing up the fundamentals of calculus.

Links:
Table of  Contents
  • Functions
  • Variations in functions; limits
  • Gradient
  • Rate of change
  • Differentiation
  • Some rules for differentiation
  • Maxima, minima and points of inflexion
  • Differentiating the trigonometric functions
  • Exponential and logarithmic functions
  • Hyperbolic functions
  • Integration; standard integrals
  • Methods of integration
  • Integration of algebraic fractions
  • Area and definite integrals
  • The integral as a sum; areas
  • Approximate integration
  • Volumes of revolution
  • Lengths of curves
  • Taylor's and Maclaurin's series
  • Differential equations
  • Applications of differential equations

[Please feel free to leave your comments below or bookmark/share this post]


No comments:

Post a Comment